I Learn Education values the abilities and achievements of each individual child, and is committed to providing an inclusive service that gives each child the best possible environment for learning and development.
Learning, Development & Assessments
We know that from our own experience observing family and friends that children and indeed adults learn in different ways. When supporting children we think it is important to consider the different ways children learn and reflect this in how we teach, organise our learning environment and support individual children and groups of children. Within the Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage they identify three “Characteristics of Effective Teaching and Learning”; these characteristics encompass children from birth to the end of the reception year and children will demonstrate them in different ways depending on the developmental level of the child:
- playing and exploring – children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
- active learning – children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements;
- creating and thinking critically – children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
We support the learning and development of each child by providing activities and experiences that cover the seven areas of learning;
- Communication & Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
We use the four guiding principles when implementing the seven areas of learning
1. That every child is unique.
2. That every child can learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
3. That children learn and develop best in enabling environments.
4. That children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
English as an additional Language
For children whose home language is not English, we support children and parents into the setting. We provide opportunities for children to develop and use their home language in play and learning, whilst supporting their language development at home. We work with parents and children to learn and reach a good standard in English language during the EYFS: ensuring children are ready to benefit from the opportunities available to them when they begin school.
Starting nursery, moving from one room to another, changing settings or starting school is an exciting time for children, but can also be a challenging and anxious time for both children and their parent/carers. We are committed to putting the needs of the child first whilst working with each other, parents/carers and other professionals to make transitions as smooth as possible for all concerned.
At I Learn we use an online system called iConnect to assess and montior children’s learning and development. iConnect is an award winning tablet based observation software from Connect Childcare. It allows your child’s key person to make curriculum based observations and produce easy online learning journeys. We do also compliment our online system with a unique paper based Learning Journey for parents to take away as a keepsake.
- Take child observations immediately and link them to various frameworks
- Check children in and out, straight from their rooms with parent signatures
- Access vital information on each child at the touch of a button
- Easily log daily activities like meals, sleep times and nappy changes
- Create accident reports quickly and easily
- Run comprehensive reports for cohorts or individuals
- Compile assessments including the 2 year check
(iconnect works in sync with Parentzone.)
Special Educational Needs
All children regardless of additional needs are welcomed into the nursery. Parents are informed and included at all stages of the assessment, provision and review of their children’s education.
We use a system to monitor, evaluate and review individual educational plans (IEPs) for children with special educational needs. We ensure that children are included in all activities and we have support from various outside agencies.